Thursday, March 4, 2010

#5, Roses, Sunflowers and Daises, Oh My!


It's blooming cupcakes! I just finished my flower cupcake class and learned how to make some really beautiful cupcakes. I've seen others making these pretty cupcakes in the class and was really looking forward to my turn.

I started taking these classes to learn some great decorating techniques. But, it's evolved a bit because, I really take my time at home researching new and yummy recipes for the cake. This week I found a crazy recipe and went with it. The batter contained coke and marshmallows, yes that's what I said, coke and marshmallows! The batter is made up of 2 parts, the first part is coke, butter, oil, cocoa powder and marshmallows and the second part is flour, sugar, vanilla, eggs and buttermilk. I used Coke Zero to save a few calories ;-) I took a risk on these and they were amazing, light, super moist and not overly sweet. I know I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, but, at the tasting, people were licking the inside of the cupcake liners!


This week I brought 2 dozen cupcakes and my icing to class. Okay, 23 I ate one, but, I had to make sure they tasted good! Instead of using the "bright white" icing they want me to use, I made a butter cream icing. I really like great icing and just can't eat that bright white stuff! My icing was really great and light but, because it actually had butter in it, it was a little harder to work with. It was softer than the other kind but, totally worth it. I got to class and started mixing the icing colors. I was hoping to keep the icing firm for decorating and had it in the fridge before class. This just made it really hard to blend the colors in, I had a bruise in the center of my had from stirring. Then by the time I put it in the bags it was soft, Oh well, I tried!


The techniques to make the flowers were pretty easy, but takes a while because of all the petals. I made Roses, Sunflowers, Daises, Mums, Hydrangeas, and a few fantasy flowers. I made four colors to start yellow (some brown for the centers) for the sunflowers, purple for the fantasy flowers and two tones of pink for the mums. As I went along and made other flowers I added little bits of color for the two tone effect, the purple and blue for the Hydrangeas with the little yellow centers were my favorite. Once they were all made, they really looked pretty!


The class was over and I was very proud of my work. It is so much fun being able to do something that is fun and just for me and then I get to share my work with my family and friends. At 6:30 right on schedule everyone came by and got to pick their favorite flower! I thought the cupcake and new icing was amazing, and so did everyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment